Thursday, February 3, 2011

Crows and Cardinals

I want to sing to my kids more often.

When Isaiah was growing inside of me, I was basically bed-ridden and so I had a lot of time on my hands.  I couldn't read because it made me more sick, so I sang to him, mostly "Great is Thy Faithfulness" and an old Raffi song called "Baby Beluga" that we sang in grade school (I know - quite the spectrum :)

After he was born and we would be driving in the car somewhere, he always seemed to be hungry or something.  Whimpering would turn to weeping and weeping to wailing and the ONLY thing that could calm him was me singing.  His favorite was Baby Beluga ;).  I cannot tell you how many times I sang that very short song over and over and over to him.  Annoying song, but so worth it.

Well, in the business of the now-a-days, I forget to sing.  I find myself more like a crow than a cardinal. 
I set these little resolutions for myself and then I inevitably fail for the most part, but I still ask God to remind me. 
When my kids grow up and start writing their own blogs, my prayer is that somewhere on it they might write something like, "I remember my mom singing a lot.  I learned my catechism, my Bible verses and a whole lot of what I know about Jesus because she sang it."

1 comment:

  1. I think that sounds wonderful! I sing to Emma a lot. I am a terrible singer but between Chris and I, Emma gets a lot of bad singing thrown at her. I remember my Mom's singing voice more than her speaking voice when I think of her... I have many fond memories of her singing to us as kids or just standing next to her in church and hearing her alto voice ringing out. That is one of the things I miss the most about her, so I think your goal of singing to your children more is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete