Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Mother's paycheck

Being a mom who has been blessed to see her first priority on this earth is DIFFICULT work.  I was telling Spencer yesterday, through tears of frustration, that being a stay-at-home mom is not a fairy tale.  You don't get any payment that shows you did anything, and everything that you know you did that got undone wasn't appreciated by anyone (at least to the extent you thought it should have been). The world thinks we may have it easy, but if we are really doing what we're supposed to be, "easy" is not the word I'd use. 

Deuteronomy 6: 4-7 commands us (parents, especially to moms, I think):
"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."
With that job requirement in mind, maybe the world could see why it would be so tempting for me to not want to "rise" each morning.  The battle between self and love for Christ is waging every minute.  Did He leave any time out up there in that verse?  Does He really mean ALL of the time? 

Every morning I rise, every night my head hits the pillow in failure... but praise the Lord! - every screw up has already been forgiven and not only that (as if that isn't amazing enough), but is being used to teach me and sanctify me!  Is there really any other way a mother, with such a burden as what's been commanded of her above, would not fall into the abyss of depression? 

And then God gives you those random, fleeting moments when your children actually heard what you taught them!  They confess their sins in order to find mercy; they ask forgiveness with genuine sorrow; they show kindness to their sibling without knowing that someone is watching; out of their mouths come Truth.  Thank You, Father. 
That must be a mother's paycheck. 

4 comments:

  1. Love it.

    You brat. You never told me that you have a blog now! I've been wanting to read your thoughts again and hear more about what God is teaching you. His work is so beautifully displayed in your life, friend. We all have much to learn from you so keep blogging!

    Love,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I miss you, Katie.
    I just got it because Xanga has some nasty ads on their pages that I was so sick of looking at. These are nice and clutter free ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could not have said it better myself. Some days I am so frustrated that it seems like I've worked hard all day and yet it looks like nothing was done!

    I have recently been hit with the reality of the overwhelming responsibility I have for teaching E everything I want (*need*) her to know. It is an awesome responsibility to know that you alone spend all day teaching your children how they are to grow, act, speak, think, etc.

    Praise God for forgiveness and His patience!

    ReplyDelete